AFRICAN PEANUT CHICKEN SOUP from ABIGAILS INN
A friend shared this recipe with me nearly 20 years ago and it’s been a favorite of ours ever since. The soup is hearty, healthy, full of flavor and perfect for a chilly winter evening. It’s especially delicious when paired with a salty flatbread or fresh baguette. Enjoy!Dave Parlin and Kent Ford, Abigail’s Inn
- 2 Onions finely chopped About 2 cups
- 2 Large red or green peppers, chopped I use one of each
- 3-4 Garlic cloves minced Or to taste
- 2 Tbs Peanut or Vegetable oil
- 28 oz Can of Italian tomatoes including juice
- 8 Cups Chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp Dried hot pepper flakes I add a bit more
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
- 1/2 Cup Long grain rice
- 1 1/2 Cups Diced cooked chicken
- 2/3 Cup Creamy peanut butter
- In a heavy pot, cook onions, bell peppers and garlic in oil over moderate heat, stirring until the onions just begin to brown.
- Add tomatoes with juice, broth, red pepper flakes and black pepper. Simmer about one hour uncovered.
- Add rice and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add chicken and peanut butter, stirring until the soup is smooth and stir in salt to taste.