We get so many compliments on this scone, you will definitely want to make this recipe when you have the chance. The best part is that you can make pretty much any flavor using the base recipe. All said and done, you can be eating these in 30 minutes. Enjoy!
– Michelle & Matt, Blue Harbor House Inn
Glaze: mix powdered sugar with juice of an orange until drizzling consistency.
1) Preheat oven to 400
2) In large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
3) Grate one stick of cold butter into flour mixture… toss butter in flour until all coated
4) Zest one orange into flour and mix
5) Stir in cranberries
6) In separate small bowl, whisk egg and sour cream until smooth
7) Stir egg/sour cream mixture into flour mixture (will be very dry.) Use hands to press the dough against the bowl to knead it into a dough ball. It may not seem like enough liquid for it all to come together, but as you press it over and over, the dough will come together.
8) Place on a lightly floured surface (I usually lay out parchment paper on the counter and sprinkle flour.) Pat into a 7-8” circle about ½ – 1 inch thick.
9) Cut it like a pie into pieces (either 8 or 12) and sprinkle with sugar.
10) Place pieces about 1″ apart on baking tray using parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
11) Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges start to turn golden brown.
12) Drizzle with glaze (after they have cooled slightly) and enjoy!